A cat of my own

You may recall that I had to draw 30 cats for a drawing assignment; to be honest, I probably did fifty before I had enough. Then I looked at the book and there were some additional assignments. The first was to digitize (scan) our best cat and apply the faux offset printing effect on it.



You have wonder about a book that teaches you how to doodle cats, but assumes that you can already do a faux offset printing effect digitally (is that a PhotoShop thing? Because in PSP, you have to juggle layers to do it).

Anyway, the next thing we were supposed to do with our cat was to use it in our normal art. My normal art is inchies, ATCs, and cards, so I printed out a sheet of cats in three sizes. Here are some inchies:



The shape of this cat makes it very easy to cut out, and since I had relatively thick lines, it reduced very well. The think the plainness of the cat really offsets the backgrounds. Now, to the ATCs:



I thought that this would be a good size to embellish an ATC while allowing a lot of background to show. I just had this painted background lying around, plenty for this ATC and the inchies. This fits the Gingersnap Creations paint challenge. The thing about acrylic paint is that it resists water based media, but you can use alcohol markers and pens on it just fine.



This was a colorblocked background that I made from old scraps of paper. I realized that my largest cat would fit on it fine if I turned it to a landscape orientation.

I like a plain white cat, but it also occured to me that the cat would take well to coloring, paper piecing, and even this:



At this size, the lines are bold enough to hold their own against the zentangling. I was going to leave more white space so that the cat would look like this one that I know in real life, but I got carried away. The cat is in my computer, I guess I can do whatever I want with him.

What a coincidence that the theme at Fun with ATCs is cats!

Would you like to play with my cat? Here is the plain scanned HiRes image:



Just click it to see it full size. If you use it, I would love to see what you make! Share it and I will send some love your way.

Juliet Arrighi

9 comments:

Chris said...

what a fun assignment - I think this cat is great!

Vicky said...

I love the zentagle one. and the background on the top one...

PetraB said...

Your cats are such good fun! They are brilliant. Thank you for sharing your little cat with us.

froebelsternchen said...

This ist great...at most I love your zentangled one !

Great ART !

thank´s for joining us again!

hugs Susi

CuddlyBunny said...

WOW! Cool! Your cat is great!

Thanks for dropping in at the Drunken Stampers craft pub!

Linda Ledbetter said...

Juliet, I LOVE your kitty! It's a great design, and it's so fun seeing all the cool ways you can incorporate it into your art and embellish it!

Thanks so much for livin' it up with the Drunken Stampers for our CATS challenge!

cbee said...

Oh wow, your cat is great and your ATCs too!!!
Thank you very much for taking part in our challenge at Fun with ATCs!
Hugs, Caro

Neet said...

What great artwork - and so much you can (and have done) with your gorgeous cat.

Anonymous said...

Your cat creations are purrfect! Thanks for taking the Gingersnaps paint challenge.